Iris is a plugin to export Rhino models to the Web. Compatible with Rhino 5 (32 and 64bit, sr12+) for Windows, Rhino 5.3.2 for macOS, and Rhino WIP (Windows and macOS), it generates JSON data from a Rhino model that is parseable and viewable through WebGL in a modern web browser. The objectives for the plugin include:
- A fast and easy way for Rhino users to distribute their designs with the least amount of dependencies possible.
- Conversion of as many Rhino Object Types and Features as possible in a static scene
Iris depends on the following libraries:
Please use the Iris group on discourse.mcneel.com for asking questions or suggesting features (rather than posting in the comments of the food4rhino page). Use the search function to seek out similar questions related to Iris. If you need to contact the developer directly, please contact luis.
Iris is compatible with the following versions of Rhinoceros:
- Rhinoceros 5 (32 and 64bit) sr12 for Windows
- Rhinoceros WIP for Windows
- Rhinoceros 5.3 for macOS
- Rhinoceros WIP for macOS
At the time of writing, Iris is tested on:
- Firefox 52.0.1 (64-bit)
- Firefox Dev 54.0a2
- Chrome 58.0.3029.33 beta (64-bit)
- Edge 38.14393.0.0
- IE 11 11.953.14393.0
- Safari 10.0.1 (12602.2.14.0.7)
- Firefox 51.0.1 (64-bit)
- Chrome 57.0.2987.110 (64-bit)
- Firefox 51.0.3
- Chrome 56.0.2924.87
Download Iris from food4rhino.
- Rhino 5 64-bit/32-bit and Rhino WIP versions come with an RHI installer. Run the installer and it will place the files accordingly for each Rhino for Windows version you have installed.
The macOS version version comes with an
.macrhi installer. Run the installer and it will place the files accordingly in:
/Users/<your username>/Library/Application Support/McNeel/Rhinoceros/MacPlugIns. Alternatively, drag the
.macrhi onto the icon of the Rhino for Mac application (works for both release and WIP versions)
- Open or Create a Rhino Model
- Export or Save As:
_Exportor go to
File > Export Selectedto export selected objects in the Rhino model
_ExportAll(Mac) or go to
File > Save As(Windows) or
File > Export(Mac) to export entire Rhino model, including objects in layers that are off
- Choose the kind of file you want to export:
- Iris Web Archive (.iris) saves separate files.
- Iris HTML Archive (.html) saves one monolithic html file. This might not be compatible with all browsers.
- Iris JSON Archive (.json) this is just the model data as a JSON file.
- Set a location where you want your files saved
- If you chose the .iris or .html formats you will have additional options:
- UI: Toggle this to ‘yes’ to export the scene with a minimal user interface.
- Launch: Toggle this to ‘yes’ if you want your default browser to launch after export.
- Click ‘OK’ or press enter.
Exported .iris Archive
Once the export of the .iris archive completes, you should have a folder with the following structure:
- Archive (Named during export)
index.html(the html page for the Iris Scene)
data.json(the exported model in Three.js json format)
- ui (this is the default UI template that ships with Iris)
styles.min.css(the css required by the ui)
Keyboard / Mouse:
- LMB - Pan around the scene
- RMB - Orbits the scene camera
- MM Wheel - Zooms
- Zooming Extents - ‘z’
- Zooming Selected - ‘s’
Object / Feature Translation
- Scene lighting is limited to Point Lights, Spot Lights, and Directional Lights. Only Directional Lights cast shadows.
- Breps and Extrusions are supported via their render meshes.
- Lines and Polylines are supported. Nurbs curves are supported, but via a Polyline form.
- Line and Polyline color is supported, print width is not yet supported.
- Texture maps are only possible through png or jpg image formats.
- Named views are saved to translate viewport information.
- Dimensions, TextDots, Hatches not yet supported. To export these types of objects, explode them when possible, then run the export process.
- macOS Versions do not yet support Render Primitive type objects (Curve Piping, Displacement, Shut Lining, etc.). The original object will be exported when possible.
- Named Positions are exported starting with Iris 0.6.0.2 for RhinoWIP for Windows only.
subscribe via RSS